Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Running an Environment-Friendly Campaign

Fellow Denisonians,

After facing criticism concerning paper use in yesterday's Bullsheet, I was curious as to how I could reduce the waste generated by my campaign. I have come up with a couple ways that will hopefully allow my campaign to meet the standards the university has set concerning sustainability.

1.) Use Electronic Campaign Materials When Possible
Through employing various non-paper resources, such as this blog or my facebook campaign group, I can reduce the amount of waste that I am generating. I can also maximize my face-to-face campaigning, such as the sort that I do while tabling in Slayter or while meeting with campus groups.

2.) Use Paper Resources Effectively
Without any paper advertising, campaigning would be incredibly difficult. However, using paper in creative ways can make the most of few resources. Collecting many papers in one place draws attention, as well as other ideas such as door hangers, table tents, and fliers placed in unique locations. In other cases, paper should be used sparingly if it must be used at all.

3.) Recycle Paper Used for Campaigning
After campaigning, paper campaign materials should be recycled. The back side of campaign posters can be used to promote other events on campus. I propose that all Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates turn their campaign posters into Senate elections posters, to encourage as many students to run for student Senate as is possible. If elected President, I would like to use the giant face poster as a means of introducing myself to the student body at large by placing it with a different caption. I would also like to recycle it after that also by putting it in my room as a souvenir of that one time when I made a giant poster of my face.

I intend to implement these practices as I carry my campaign to completion in the next couple days. Hopefully, these three strategies will ensure that my campaign is in line with sustainability mission of the campus.

Your Representative,

Eric "Harry" Brisson
DCGA Senator, Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment