This Halloween weekend, I went around to various social gatherings to introduce myself and speak about my vision for student government. While check in at various parties, I witnessed a fire alarm that forced over 100 students out of Lower Elm, disturbing their evenings. Rumors circulated as to the cause of the fire alarm, the most disturbing of which claiming that security themselves had pulled the fire alarm to evacuate the building and break up the parties.
Hearing the blaring alarm reminded me of problems last year in Shorney with students pulling fire alarms without the impression of a fire. Not only do false alarms decrease the legitimacy of fire alarms, but they also blatantly disrespect student rights. As DCGA President, I would push for the reoutfitting of fire alarm stations with ones that mark individuals who pull them. No one should have their evening disturbed by fire alarms, whether it disrupts their sleep before their midterm or one of the best party nights of the year.Your Representative,
Eric "Harry" Brisson
DCGA Senator, Class of 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment