Friday, October 30, 2009

The MuSAAC Coalition: Bringing Together Athletes and Musicians

Fellow Denisonians,

What do Denison musicians and athletes have in common? I found out yesterday, while I had the privilege of speaking with Denison Student-Athlete Advisory Council (DSAAC) President Dan Crawford.

Student athletes, said Crawford, have had difficulties with class commitments that extend beyond the times listed at registration. For example, many labs will extend past 4:20pm, when they are stated to end. This forces students to choose between completing their lab assignments and attending their practices on time.

As an active member of the music department, I know that this has also posed a problem in certain Denison music ensembles -- specifically the Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combo, Wind Ensemble, and Orchestra. These ensembles have rehearsals that start at 4:30; therefore, they fall victim to this same problem of professors not following their own syllabi with regard to times.

"The focus of student life," reads the fifth line of our mission statement, "is a concern for the whole person." By making the sciences incompatible with music and athletics, Denison is not only putting students in an unfair position, but it is neglecting its mission and failing as a liberal arts institution. Students should be encouraged to blend a science major with participation in a sport or ensemble, not denied the opportunity.

As President, I would use the Academic Affairs Council (see Faculty Governance, Article III, Section A) to push this issue within the administration. If necessary, Dan Crawford and I can mobilize student athletes and musicians to apply further pressure to ensure that courses are completed within the time limit allotted.

If you have more information about this issue or would like to provide feedback, please do comment. I will certainly look over any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Your Representative,

Eric "Harry" Brisson
DCGA Senator, Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment