Fellow Denison Students,
I have an important announcement to make: I am running to represent you as Student Body President. You may know me through the various campus activities in which I have been involved, but regardless of if you do or don’t, I appreciate you taking the time to read my platform below.
My primary goal in 2010 is to optimize student incorporation, ensuring that the student government truly is operating as the students' government. To meet this goal, I have a three-tier strategy:
1.) Capitalize on Available Technologies
I have already created the DCGA Updates mailing list, to which nearly 300 constituents have subscribed. In my term, I would like to see this number increase to include 700 constituents – one third of the student body. With this many students receiving updates on the projects and policies of the student government, the student government’s decisions could better reflect the needs and desires of the student body.
In addition to the mailing list, I have also created this blog, entitled the DCGA Fireside Blog (see "Introducing the DCGA Fireside Blog"). If elected president, I will use this blog to keep the student body up-to-date on student government issues. Additionally, the blog can be used to post polls that can survey the student body on student issues. This blog will better incorporate the student body at large in the decision-making process.
Finally, I would like to continue improvements to the DCGA website (dcga.denison.edu). I have already proposed a DCGA Bylaws amendment that would require the webmaster to hold weekly office hours to update the DCGA online archive of agendas, minutes, and resolutions. This should improve the transparency of our organization and, further, should hold the student Senate accountable to the student body.
2.) Coordinate Publicity with Student Media
As president, I would use my relationship with student media to ensure that students are informed about the discussions and proposals taking place in the student Senate. Having served as WDUB 91.1 Business Manager and Denisonian Copy Editor (as well as being a long-time Bullsheet reader/submitter), I could ensure that the student body remained informed about student government issues.
3.) Provide Opportunities for Community Input
As DCGA Rules Chair, I put together the Open Forums that discussed campus dining issues and campus facilities ideas. I would like to continue these into the 2010, assisted by cross-promotion with other publicity resources. In addition to these forums, the DCGA Fireside Blog also provides an opportunity for feedback in the form of comments and polls. Finally, I would also like to hold office hours every week in Slayter Union. I feel that these actions would incorporate the student body into the Senate policy developing process.
This action plan, which I call "Keeping the Student Government the Students' Government," is by no means the entirety of my platform; indeed, it simply will restructure the role of the president to allow me to serve the student body more effectively.
I will continue to post more information on other issues, but know that this is the focus of my campaign. I feel that by effectively incorporating the student body, I place myself in a much better position to pursue the "legitimate needs and desires of the student body" as the DCGA Constitution asks.
If you have any feedback or suggestions concerning any of the ideas listed above or any others that are later presented, please do not hesitate to comment. That is, after all, the entire purpose of this blog.
Enjoy campaign week!
Your Representative,
Eric "Harry" Brisson
DCGA Senator, Class of 2011
D is for DUMBO! - Posted by JT
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment